Child cruelty charge after baby found alone in Occupy camp

January 12, 2012 @ 7 Comments

An infant’s cries rang through the Occupy DC encampment in McPherson Square Wednesday morning, and when a group went to investigate they found only a baby girl alone in a tent, wearing a onesie and mittens.

Soon after, authorities said, a man had been arrested and the girl — who was unharmed — was in the city’s care.

The campers notified authorities and then cared for the girl until help arrived, according to Kelly Canavan, 36, a retired Prince George’s County school teacher who has been living at the camp.

D.C. Fire/EMS workers checked on the girl around 10:30 a.m. She was fine, according to Sgt. David Schlosser, a U.S. Park Police spokesman, and is now with the District’s child protective services department.

About 30 minutes later, Schlosser said, a man returned to the encampment and identified himself as the baby’s father. Police arrested the man, charging him with attempted second-degree cruelty to children.

Read More at The Washington Post By Theola Labbe-DeBose and Annie Gowen, The Washington Post

7 Comments → “Child cruelty charge after baby found alone in Occupy camp”

1. debrarae

2 years ago

I don’t support the Occupy Movement. But I give them Kudos for doing the right thing, by taking care of that baby.

2. Helen C Satmary

1 year ago

This shows what kind of people Occupiers are. Would you ever leave a innocent baby alone in a tent where just about any abuser can go in and harm a child. Well, that is what these people are all about. No responsibility!! Thank God, officials came to the rescue. Hopefully this child will be placed in a home where she will have responsible adoptive parents who will truly protect and love her.

3. Yah Coyote

1 year ago

Democrats favor abortion so child neglent is just another “freedom” to them. We who are defense of life are trankful she was unharmed and join Helen C Satmary in hoping she will have responsible adoptive parents.

4. Marriott Cole

1 year ago

When abortion first came out, it was touted as “Every child, a wanted child.” But all abortion has done is cheapen our regard for life. I was conceived as a result of gang rape, and I am very grateful that my birth mother considered abortion to be murder. You can read more in an excerpt from my book at http://bookstore.inspiringvoices.com/Products/SKU-000526398/grace-miracles-and-chocolate.aspx

5. dui law office

3 weeks ago

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite sure I will learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

6. Enrique

1 week ago

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you
    if that would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

7. dui Attorneys

1 day ago

It’s an remarkable paragraph in favor of all the weeb visitors; they
    will take benefit from it I am sure.

Join the Conversation and leave a comment!